The year was 1914, just before the start of WWI. In the foreground are the streetcar tracks. In the background is the venerable Union Depot building. The Hersey Staples Block stood on the SE corner of Myrtle and Main Streets. At one time, Myrtle Street was to be where the lift bridge was to enter Stillwater. Perhaps this explains why the North-South dividing line for Stillwater is Myrtle Street. This location included a bank, a saloon, hardware store, grocery store, insurance office, lunch counter, tin shop and warehouse area. Today, the location is the former Cosmopolitan State Bank building which is used for an Antique shop. There must have been a lot of activity at this location with the Union Depot, Streetcar, Steamboat, Horse and buggy traffic and the nearby grain elevator all serving the various manufacturing and other businesses in Stillwater.
To take a "Time Tunnel" trip from 2016 to 1914, just click on the photo above.