The commander Elevator
Written by John Buettner
One of the most famous buildings in the Stillwater skyline is the Commander Elevator.
It rises majestically from the cityscape as one of the tallest buildings downtown.
Even with all the photographs and inspiration it gives artists, this building, like many others downtown was nearly demolished.
The elevator, built in 1898 by the Woodward Elevator Company, was originally located at the corner of Main and Nelson Streets. Just six years later, the elevator was moved to its present site, making way for a new flourmill. An overhead spout connected the buildings, both operated by the Minnesota Flour Mill Company until 1908.