Written by Bill Fredell
The liftbridge was completed in 1931 allowing traffic to move between Stillwater and Wisconsin. It has worked well in its eighty-five years of service. One of only a few remaining liftbridges in Minnesota, it has become the symbol of Stillwater and a welcome sight of the St. Croix Valley. The liftbridge is on the National Register of Historical Places (1989) and its cost of $460,174 was split between Minnesota and Wisconsin. Today, it carries 18,000 vehicles per day.
Early photos (1870-1931) OF THE BRIDGES OF STILLWATER
This Gallery includes early scenes of the different bridges that crossed the St. Croix River in Stillwater. Photo credits are John Sinclair and John Runk. The photos are courtesy of the New York City Public Library, The Stillwater Public Library, The Washington County Historical Society and the Minnesota Historical Society and the John Runk Collection