The Lowell Inn History
The Sawyer House opened in 1861 and was the center of social activity in Stillwater during its lifetime. It was named after Mr. Henry Sawyer, who started construction several years before it was opened. Albert and Jacob Lowell were hired to manage the hotel and eventually became the owners in 1871. Elmore Lowell, (Lowell Park was named after him) ran the Sawyer house and eventually sold the building in 1924.
The building was eventually torn down, making way for the Lowell Inn, built in 1927.
The Lowell Inn became a destination for fine dining and was a great attraction for the city of Stillwater. The Lowell Inn was known as the Mount Vernon of the West and was managed by the Palmer family for three generations.
Today, the tradition of fine dining, hospitality and family involvement is continued by Dick and Judy Anderson, longtime Stillwater residents, who own and operate The Lowell Inn.
Brent Peterson, Press Publications, November 15, 2007
Article about The Lowell Inn and some history and up to date ownership of the hotel.
Article about the Palmers and their ownership and stewardship of the Lowell inn
Post cards and photos of old Stillwater.
Book about old hotels, one page featuring The Sawyer House.
Nelle Palmer story written by Congdon.
Stillwater Gazette story by Brent Peterson about Elmore Lowell